22. How to Make Crispy Golden Yam Ring.
This well known dish among Chinese all over the world. They mostly celebrate Chinese New Year with home-cooked “Crispy Golden Yam Ring”.
Ingredients for Yam Ring
- ¼ tbsp of Salt.
- 1 tbsp. of Sugar.
- 1 tbsp. of shortening.
- 300gm skinned Yam.
- 45 gm Wheat Starch.
- OKI Premium Cooking Oil.
- 45 gm boiling hot Water.
- ¼ tsp five spice powder.
Ingredient for Garnishing
- 1 handful of Rice vermicelli.
- Trim yam and cut into small cubes and steam for 20 mins or until soft.
- Pour hot boiling water into wheat starch, mix thoroughly. Cover with cling wrap and let it rest.
- Transfer cooked yam into to a bowl.
- Add salt, sugar, five spices powder and mash with potato masher.
- Add wheat starch paste, shortening and mix until well combined.
- Place the yam paste in a grip seal/ zipper bag.
- Pat, roll and shape the dough into a strip with your hands of about 20 cm x 15cm.
- Seal tight and put in freezer for about 30 mins.
- Once the yam paste is firmed and pliable, remove from freezer and divide the dough into 3 equal part for about 5cm width each.
- Join the 2 ends to foam into a ring.
- Place yam rings in freezer for about 30 mins until it is firm for deep frying.
- Heat OKI Premium Cooking Oil in a wok.
- Fry rice vermicelli until crispy. Drain and set aside for garnishing.
- Remove yam ring from freezer and place it on a sieve. Gradually place yam ring into OKI premium cooking oil, deep fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain and set aside.
- Spread fried rice vermicelli on a serving plate as base. Place the crispy yam ring on the center.
- Fill crispy yam ring with stir fry filling.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Ingredients for filling
- OKI Premium Canola Oil.
- 200gm debone chicken drumsticks.
- 8 tiger prawns.
- 3 dried mushroom.
- ½ yellow capsicum.
- ½ red capsicum.
- 4 holland beans.
- ½ Carrots.
- ½ onion.
- 1 tsp. of chopped Garlic.
- 2 tbsp. of Cashew nuts.
Ingredient for Gravy
- 1 tbsp. of Soya sauce.
- 1 tbsp. of Oyster sauce.
- ¼ tsp. of Sesame oil.
- 1 tbsp. of Shao Xing Hua Tiao cooking wine.
- 4 tbsp. of soaked dried mushroom water.
- De-skin, trim fat and dice the chicken drumsticks.
- Marinate chicken drumstick with a dash of soy sauce, pepper and corn flour.
- Add OKI Canola oil in a pan, add prawns and stir fry until it turns pink.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped garlic, onion and stir fry until fragrant releases.
- Add marinated chicken and stir fry until color changing.
- Add mushrooms, yellow capsicum, red capsicum, holland beans and carrot, stir well.
- Add gravy ingredients and stir to mix well. Add prawn and cashew nuts and bring to boil.
- Dish out and set aside for filling in the center of crispy yam ring.
Published by OKI.Singapore.
February 12, 2018